Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"?" with Jarrod Fairclough - Why does Pepe say "Okay" at the End of Most Sentences?


Jarrod Fairclough Presents: "?"
Because Asking Questions Is A Good Way to Find Out Things
Question: Why does Pepe say "Okay" at the End of Most Sentences?

Why howdy Muppet fans, and welcome to the next edition of my article with the long name I can’t be bothered typing out again. I’m back with yet another question I can blow out of proportion, and it took me a while to think of one. As I mentioned in my last article, I was going to find a question to ask about Pepe, our favorite King Prawn, as requested by an anonymous person. I’m an obedient fellow, so I racked my little brain for something to do with Pepe, until I was struck by lightning and it came to me! Yeah, you heard. I was struck by lightning. Not real lightning, obviously. Metaphorical lightning. Because I thought of a question. See what I mean? Yeah, cool. So, today’s question is:

“Why does Pepe say ‘okay’ at the end of most sentences?”

Pepe may be one of my favorite characters ever. I’m constantly in fits of laughter by him, and I think Bill Barretta does a phenomenal job with him. But one thing I’ve always thought was a bit odd is when Pepe says "okay" at the end of his sentences. Is it a nervous tick? Is it a habit that he can’t quite kick, like that nasty "singing" habit Ke$ha has that the world wishes she’d get rid of? Okay, so that was a weird comparison... I really hate Ke$ha.

I love Pepe though; I once based a character in a little improvised Drama class play on Pepe, named, imaginatively, Pepe Okay. I can’t remember what happened in it, but I remember wearing a fedora. Now, some may blame his weird speech tick on his Spanish accent, but Rosita doesn’t have it. Does she? I haven’t seen a Rosita sketch in a while. Let me YouTube that... She does not.

So why does he say "okay"? Well, I can’t answer that yet, because I haven’t had an answer. But rest assured, I’m going after one from some people who I should think would know, okay? Oh man, now I’m doing it, okay?

I’m going to stop now before I am doing this forever okay?  DARN IT!

I’ll be seeing you soon, okay?  Here on the Muppens Mindset, okay?

Jarrod, the King Prawn









The Muppet Mindset by Ryan Dosier